Answered By: Laura Costello
Last Updated: Sep 09, 2014     Views: 29

The following United States government websites will be helpful in your research: 

The U.S. 2010 census  webpage provides 2010 census data and a copy of the 2010 census form.

Decennial census information, including that from 2010, is also available from American Factfinder which has data from the past 20 years from the U.S. Census Bureau. Included in AFF are data from The American Community Survey, The American Housing Survey, 3 Annual Economic Surveys, Annual Survey of Government, The Census of Governments, the Decennial Census, The Economic Census, The Survey of Business Owners, The Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Tabulation, The Population Estimates Program and The Puerto Rico Community Survey.

Please be cognizant of the “72 Year Rule,” which provides that the U.S. government will not release personally identifiable information about an individual to any other individual or agency until 72 years after it was collected for the decennial census. This "72-Year Rule" (92 Stat. 915; Public Law 95-416; October 5, 1978) restricts access to decennial census records to all but the individual named on the record or that person’s legal heir.

After 72 years, the records are released to the public by the National Archives and Records Administration. In accordance with the 72-Year Rule, the National Archives released the 1930 records in April 2002 and most recently, the 1940 records were released April 2, 2012.

Related Topics

Contact Us!

(631) 632-7148  more info
Reference Desk  more info  more info

Ask Us!

Please give an e-mail address so we know where to send your answer. We will not share it.
Your Question
Your Info
Fields marked with * are required.